Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Thinking Outside the Shower

This is going to be a short post, but sometimes complicated problems can have simply, easy solutions... if you think outside the box. When you move into a new house, the last thing you think about is 'Will my shower caddy fit in this shower?' I quickly realized that this was the case in the master shower.  Not only would my hanging shower caddy not fit..... none would fit.



See that really short shower arm?  It only sticks out 1" from the wall before it curves downward.  See that white shower?  It sticks out from the wall 1.5".  See the issue?  There's no room to hang ANYTHING.  


I tried and researched everything.  I even tried to get a stick-on caddy to the wall! They fell off after a week, thanks to the texture on the shower insert.  I couldn't handle it anymore.  It had been 2 years and I needed a shower caddy.  

Then, one day, I thought outside of the box.  I was looking in the hook section of Lowe's for something else and saw a simple hook.... and it dawned on me.  I could put this hook on the opposite wall from the shower head and hang any caddy I wanted.  I had seen a particular neat one already that I knew would work great.  So, I set forth and conquered.  


I made sure to get a hook that stuck out a bit, but would be screwed directly into the wall.  It's also very important to screw the hook into a stud.  Even with the normal sized bottles, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash..... the weight it adds up.

Here's the final result:


I've discovered an added bonus to having it on the other wall.  I haven't any nasty buildup on the bottle or the caddy because it's only getting a small amount of water compared to what it would normally accumulate. If it involves less cleaning and less maintenance, I'm all for it!

Have you come up with some solutions that are outside of the box?  Leave a comment and tell me about it!



1 comment:

  1. This is brilliant! I hate hanging the shampoo caddy from the shower-head because the hose gets in the way and I think it looks sloppy.

    I might seriously have to do this.

    ReplyDelete