Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Oh My Wreath.

It's that time of year: the season of seasonal decorations!  I will admit it now, I am decorationally challenged. I don't always do well with crafts and it seems to be pretty hit and miss.  But I try my best and that's what counts?  That's what my mom always told me and I'm sticking to it.

I started with a wreath that I bought from a lovely neighbor who does crafts.  I've had it for a year and always thought it needed.... just a little something.  I put it back up this past week and that feeling came back.

Here's what I started with:


While I really enjoy the colors and the lack of yellow compared to make wreaths, it just looks anemic.  What is a non-crafty person to do?  Cheat.


Que the 20% off Michael's coupon and I spotted this:
I also found 2 picks that had the bronze and gold colors I wanted to add.  Bling always looks better.


I saw a bald spot on the right side and stuck the large pick in.  Looked horrible.  So I took it out and bent it to have it fit more with the curve and spread it out so it wasn't completely clustered.



I stuck it back in and success!  I took out one of the yellow flowers and put it back in almost the same place just to keep it from getting squished.


Onto the next pick!  The 2nd was much smaller, so I found another bare spot and stuck it in!  These picks make crafting so darn easy.  The final step was to give more oomph to the wreath itself.  That's where the garland comes in.  I took the garland and weaved it around the front, back and inside of the current wreath.  I made sure to put the leaves around the current flowers to give it a layered look.

Voila!

It has more of the deeper red that I prefer and it added more depth to be seen from the street.  No glue, scissors or bandages required!



I'm going to try a Christmas wreath from scratch, but for now, I'm quite happy with my semi-homemade upgrade.

P.S.  I don't think my table is happy with seasonal decor.  Glitter.  Everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment