Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Project: Laundry Room, Pre-Part 1

I've got a few projects that are partially complete in the house, so, of course, it's time to start a new one!  Am I the only one that does that?  Good, I didn't think so.  I was doing laundry yesterday and a light bulb went off in my head, "This is my next project!"


Just a plain, boring closet.  I guess at least there's a shelf?

You see, my laundry room is really a closet.  A nice closet, but still a closet.  And it has a wire shelf.  1 single, lonely, white wire shelf with supports strong enough to hold an army and take up a lot of room in the process.



All the underutilized space!  See those shelf supports?  How could you miss them, that's at least a foot of space I could use to store other things!  And now that I'm looking at it, the lighting is pretty terrible too.  There isn't even a light in the closet!


Contrary to the end results you may see, I try to plan my projects.  I get inspiration, I research, I plan.  Why?  Because I am NOT handy.  It's the only way I've made it through my kitchen island project (more on that another day).    I try to follow somewhat of a process:

Step 1) Get really excited
Step 2) Measure the relevant area in every direction imaginable
Step 3) Spend hours on the internet looking for inspiration
Step 3a) Laugh at almost every picture I see after I realize the cost and skills needed
Step 4) Look at enough pictures to get an idea of what I want... or get frustrated and do my own thing
Step 5) *Important* Break the project down into small sub-projects I know I can accomplish.

Step 1) Complete.

Step 2) 

My measurements and very accurate drawing of the area in question


At least it's written down!  This gives me an idea of what I can fit into the space, even if I have no clue exactly what's going there.

Step 3)

Here are a few ideas I've compiled to find my vision

I like the open cabinets here, but I know that might require building by hand.  Step 3a) Not going to happen.

I like the built-in garment bar idea and should be simple enough to make something like that, but on a smaller scale.  

I love, love, love this one.  The mix of open area and closed storage is exactly what I'm looking for.  


Step 4) Break it down
The most important reason for this DIY project is more storage and better organization in the space.  There is minimal storage throughout the house and I'd like a place to put my detergent that isn't way above my head.

I know that cabinets can be purchased at a local big box store and put together with only minor injuries.  I've never put together wall cabinets, but hey, there's a first time for everything!  I'm not quite sure how to achieve the open storage portion yet, but I'll find something.  Building it by hand can be complicated, especially if I ever want to open the door again.  Maybe I'm on to something....

As always, if you have inspiration to share, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment